3 Delicious ways to eat heart-healthy porridge for dinner
-May 22, Hannah Hargrave, Nutrition -
With acai bowls and chia pudding picking up some serious steam on the breakfast bandwagon poor old hearty, but apparently old school, porridge doesn’t get much of a look in these days. We look at ways to include lovely nutritious oats on your dinner and lunch menus.
Who says that delicious and healthy oats have to be purely for the first meal of the day? We’ve found some seriously delicious and savoury recipes to allow you to eat porridge for dinner as well as in the A.M.
Health benefits of oats
Oats are one of the healthiest grains on the earth and are packed with powerful antioxidants. They’re not only great for maintaining a healthy heart but they have also been linked to lowering cholesterol and aiding weight loss too. What more could you ask for from your dinner?
Turmeric Chickpea Porridge
Trust the wonder of turmeric to turn a bowl of porridge into a tantalising and nutritious dinner time delight.
Note: You can mix up the vegetables to fit with whatever you have in the fridge and if you soak the oats for several hours before cooking then this dish will take barely any time to prepare.
Ingredients – serves 1
1/2 cup grams rolled oats (60g)
1/2 cup unsweetened soy or almond milk (118ml)
1/2 cup water (118ml)
1 heaped cup spinach
1/2 tsp tumeric
1/3 cup cooked chickpeas (40g)
1. Soak the oats overnight or throughout the day in a bowl with the milk and water. Cover and refrigerate.
2. When you’re ready for dinner bring the oats to a boil in a saucepan
3. Reduce the heat and add the spinach until it wilts and you can stir it in
4. Add the tumeric and continue to cook the oats until they’re thick and creamy
5. Season with salt and pepper
6. Top with chickpeas at the last minute before you serve
Porridge with Avocado and Poached Egg
We admit, the avocado and egg gives this recipe a definite breakfast feel but its umami flavour makes it perfect for a lunch or dinner feast too.
Ingredients – Serves 1
1/2 cup rolled oats (60g)
1 cup water (236ml)
Pinch of salt and pepper
2 tbsp shaved Parmesan cheese (15g)
1 tbsp chopped parsley (15g)
1. Cook the oats by simmering them in a saucepan with the water for approximately 10 minutes until all the water is absorbed.
2. Remove from heat and stir in Parmesan cheese
3. Poach an egg – crack an egg into a small bowl and gently lower into simmering water and cook for approximately 3 minutes.
3. Serve the oatmeal into bowls, top with the poached egg, sliced avocado and chopped parsley and pepper.
Mushroom and Herb Steel-Cut Oat Risotto
A risotto made with oats! Who would have thought it. It might sound bizarre but using steel cut oats in the place of arborio rice still makes for a great tasting risotto – and you even prepare them the same way.
Ingredients – serves 4
5 1/2 cups vegetable, chicken or beef stock (1.30 litres)
2 tbsp unsalted butter
1 leek cut into thin slices
1/2 tsp salt
12 ounces of mushrooms of your choice (340g)
2 garlic cloves minced
1 tsp chopped fresh thyme
1 tsp ground dried sage
1/4 cup dry white wine (30g)
1 cup steel cut oats (not the quick-cooking kind) (120g)
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese (40g)
2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley for garnish
1. Heat stock over medium/high heat until simmering. Then reduce heat to low and keep covered.
2. Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat.
3. Add leek and salt and cook for 2 minutes stirring frequently.
4. Add mushrooms, garlic, thyme and sage. Cook for 7-8 minutes or until mushrooms are a deep brown. Stir frequently.
5. Add wine and cook for a further minute, stirring constantly.
6. Reduce heat to medium and add oatmeal. Keep stirring for 1 minutes.
7. Add two ladles of the hot stock and cook until the oats have absorbed most of the liquid.
8. From this point, keep adding 1 ladle of stock at a time intermittently over 25 minutes until the oats are cooked. Keep the lid on the pan at all other times. Keep checking to make sure all the liquid hasn’t evaporated. If it does and you run out of stock, just add some water until they are cooked.
9. Once cooked stir in the cheese and serve up with the parsley garnish.
If you liked the sound of these recipes you should try these easy banana protein pancakes or whip up this gorgeous raw avocado mousse. Help your body strike its ideal nutritional balance with Lumity supplements, designed to help you feel radiant and rejuvenated from the inside, out.