6 non-negotiable rules for gorgeous, healthy skin
-Apr 26, Jenny Paul, Beauty -
If you want gorgeous, healthy skin, it’s crucial to up your skincare game. With summer just around the corner, there’s no better time to refresh your beauty regime and take extra special care of your beautiful face.
Occasionally we all feel like we’ve lost a little bit of that sparkle and that despite our best efforts our skin isn’t as fabulous as it might be. With summer fast approaching, we’ve put together some skincare tips that you can put into action now and get back that amazing glow in no time.
Skincare tip 1 – The importance of beauty sleep
When you don’t get enough sleep, it shows on the outside. The amount of sleep each person needs varies, but most of us, according to the National Institutes of Health, need roughly eight hours of uninterrupted, quality sleep. While you sleep, your skin repairs and regenerates cells. Switch off the TV and your phone, take a long relaxing bath and then curl up in bed in a set of clean sheets. You’ll be asleep in no time. If you can manage this five nights in a row, your skin will look markedly different.
Our in depth sleep guide is here.
Skincare tip 2: Cleanse with care
Treat your skin with care when you get clean! That means:
1. Use warm water instead of hot. Being in steamy, hot water for a long time can remove the protective oils from your skin and strip its moisture – especially in winter.
2. Stick to mild cleansers, as strong ones can remove oils from the skin and irritate it. Consider fragrance-free, unscented cleansers with added fat that can leave a helpful, oily barrier on your skin. Try oil cleansing if you fancy nourishing your skin.
3. Use shaving gel, lotion or cream to help lubricate and protect your skin when you shave. Cayli Cavaco Reck tells us that her favourite beauty trick is using coconut oil to shave her legs.
4. When you’ve finished, blot or pat skin dry gently with a towel.
5. Once your skin is dry, immediately apply a moisturiser or oil. (Lumity’s new Facial Oil is perfect for nourishing tired out winter skin).
Skincare tip 3: Eat well
We’ve all heard the saying, ‘you are what you eat’. A cliché, yes, but it is true. When you eat healthily, your skin shows it. That means plenty of whole grains like oatmeal, whole-wheat pasta and brown rice, lean proteins like poultry and beans, as well as fruit and vegetables in a variety of colours.
Avoid too much alcohol and caffeine – which can dehydrate your skin – and guzzle plenty of water.
Don’t forget to take a quality supplement to help ensure that you get the nutrients essential to healthy skin like vitamins A (good for cell division and keeping skin moist), C (which is linked to wrinkle prevention and elasticity) and E (helps repair damaged skin).
Skincare tip 4: Manage stress
Stress can make your skin more sensitive, triggering acne breakouts and other skin issues. So do whatever works for you to let off steam. Take a yoga class, go for a walk, call a friend – do what helps you keep stress levels in check.
Skincare tip 5: Watch those rays
The more you expose yourself to the sun, the more prone you are to wrinkles and age spots. Protect yourself with a sunscreen that has an SPF of at least 15. Avoid the sun at its strongest hours and keep covered. You should never skip sunscreen – even in winter.
Skincare tip 6: Find the right facial oil
Extra moisture can brighten your complexion and decrease the appearance of fine lines. Facial oils are big news now and rightly so – many of the new generation ones are 100% all natural and suited to all skin types. That’s right; using a facial oil won’t make you break out, it will heal and balance breakout-prone skin. It’s absolutely worth adding one to your skincare regime if you haven’t already.
Did you enjoy this? Here’s why stress could be sabotaging your skincare regime. This is how to eat your way to healthy skin and are you fatigued and wondering how to restore your skin’s glow? – Here’s how.