As the colder weather sets in, it can be tempting to reach for a bag of chocolates and snuggle up on the sofa. But just because the temperature has dropped, doesn’t mean that your mood and your diet has to too.
Dates make an amazing alternative to refined sugar so you can get a buzz of energy and tantalise your tastebuds with these super simple bites of deliciousness. As well as being known as energy balls, we have also heard them called ‘raw vegan candy’.
Makes 10 bites
120g pitted dates
120g dried apple
120g unsalted dry-roasted almonds
120g porridge oats
1 tbsp maple syrup
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tbsp water
Finely chopped pistachios to sprinkle on top
1. Soak the dates in hot water for 10 minutes. Drain and squeeze out any excess water.
2. Blend the dates and the rest of the ingredients – except the pistachios – in a food processor along with the tablespoon of water until it’s a sticky doughy paste.
3. Roll the mixture into balls using your hands.
4. Pour the pistachios into a bowl and roll each bite to coat with the nuts.
5. Store in an airtight container in the fridge.
Optional: Instead of pistachio you can also roll each energy ball in coconut chips, flax seeds, or sesame seeds.
If you’re looking for a quick and healthy dinner why not try this speedy 5-minute salmon with balsamic tomatoes and quinoa. Or whip up a batch of these flapjacks which might even boost your brain power.