Recipe: Warm salmon, butternut squash and lentil salad
-Jan 7, Hannah Hargrave, Nutrition -
You might be sick of the sight of mince pies, turkey, stuffing and all it’s calorific trimmings but that doesn’t mean you’re quite ready to live off a pile of lettuce. Here’s a recipe for a delicious, healthy and comforting winter salad.
Who says salads are only for summer? While you might not want to tuck into a cold plate of cucumber lettuce and tomato you’re probably eager to embark on a bit of a health kick as you settle into the new year.
As the dark nights continue to roll in, you might also be craving some comfort. This salmon, butternut squash, puy lentil and soy balsamic recipe has everything you’re looking for. It’s tasty, filling and full of goodness and you can quite easily curl up on the sofa with a blanket and tuck in guilt-free.
4 x 4oz boneless salmon pieces
1 large butternut squash peeled and cut into 2cm cubes
125g dried Puy lentils or 250g ready-to-eat Puy lentils
1 tsp sesame seeds
1 garlic clove finely chopped
4 tbsp olive oil
3 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 tsp runny honey
1. Preheat oven to 200C/fan 180C/gas 6
2. Place the butternut squash on a non stick baking sheet or roasting tin.
3. Drizzle over a tbsp of olive oil, season with salt and pepper and place in the oven.
4. Put the salmon fillets on a non stick roasting tin, drizzle with a little olive oil, season and place in the oven when there is 15 minutes to go.
5. If using dried Puy lentils simmer them for 15 minutes before draining them – if using ready-to-eat you can leave it until the last minute.
5. To make the dressing mix all the ingredients together.
6. Mix the bag of rocket up with the butternut squash and lentils in a big dish and pour over the dressing.
7. Plate up the salad before adding a piece of salmon and a sprinkle of sesame seeds.
If you’re looking for more nutritional inspiration why not start your meal with the celery based soup French women eat to stay clear skinned or if it’s a sugar craving you’re trying to tame, whip up top one of these delicious, healthy chocolate cakes.